Monday, June 4, 2012

Remembering a Legend - Richard Dawson

Well, on Saturday, it was the 16th anniversary since Family Feud host Ray Combs passed away. Unfortunately, the original Feud host, Richard Dawson, passed away at age 79. Unfortunately, 2012 isn't at the halfway point yet and 4 game show personalities have passed on. However, death is a part of life, and no one lives forever. I will now take this time to pay my own tribute to Richard and his accomplishments, as he is one of my favorite television personalities of all time, by far.

First, Richard got his start on Hogan's Heroes. That was one of my favorite shows, and he did a good job as Corporal Newkirk. That was a funny show. Hopefully some episodes will appear soon. He did good. I enjoyed it. In 1972, he was a panelist on the revival of I've Got A Secret with Steve Allen as host. He did very good on that I thought. That is one accomplishment that is often overlooked.

Another one of my favorites was Match Game. He was a regular panelist on that show from 1973-1978.  He sat in the 5th chair. He was a bright panelist, and very hilarious, such as this moment. He made tons of matches on the show and won a lot of contestants money.A star wheel was introduced to combat people choosing Richard, and the First time the plan failed, and everyone rage quit (almost, they walked off). Very many funny moments on this show. It was very fun to watch, and he was my favorite. At least he's with Gene, Brett, Charles, McLean, uh, Bert, Allen Ludden, and others who played the game who have passed on. This is what I enjoyed him best on, no doubt about that. Weird I was watching the last segment of Match Game 74 on GSN this morning, and I logged on the computer after a couple days absence, and read that Richard had passed away.

His best known accomplishment is Family Feud. He started in 1976 and was picked due to his brilliance on Match Game. He was known for kissing the female (and jokingly some male) contestants. He was the best when it came to the Feud, his class and more was just amazing. He handled it best. The show ended in 1985, and produced more than 2000 episodes. He was definetely the master at this. He was my favorite, and the original. He also returned in 1994 and didn't kiss the ladies. In 1981, he met a woman named Gretchen Johnson on the show, and they eventually married. That was a special moment. There was also a hilarious moment when a contestant gave a very STUPID answer. What made this interesting is Richard could not stop laughing.

R.I.P. Richard. You were great

No comments:

Post a Comment