Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Older Wheel

In a group of tapes I got, I got some old reruns of Wheel of Fortune from the "infamous" 1988-1989 season. (It's called infamous because internet game show boardies hate it because GSN ran it more than once). But anyway, it's definetley different than the episodes today. Back then, Vanna actually had to turn all of the letters. Pat looked a lot younger, and the wheel didn't make a lot of noise. There was also a free spin wedge, and all you had to do was land on it, and you got the free spin. Same with prize wedges, you land on it, you pick it up, then guess a letter. Some changes have took place, where you have to guess the letter first before you get it. Adding a little more challenge. Not to mention the sound effects were also different back then. I like the newer ones, although I like the old category intro sound better than the new one (which debuted in July 1989), I don't know why I like it better, I just do.

One thing that sucked about the older ones is the shopping. Gee the prizes were awful, and it was waste of time. When the nighttime show eliminated it in 1987 there was more puzzles that were able to be fit in a show other than just 3. Although they're not totally unwatchable. It's interesting to see how much the show has evolved. It's definetley better today in 2012 then compared to 1984.

No comments:

Post a Comment